Help with debts
Debts are bills and borrowing that you cannot pay when they are due – research shows people often wait more than a year before seeking help.
Don’t do this – save yourself money and stress and get free help today.
- There is free help available for everybody.
- There is no debt problem that cannot be solved.
- Take a confidential 60 second debt test today here
If you are worried about debts and bills
If you feel anxious about money it may feel easier to ignore the problems.
But this is not helpful – costs can quickly escalate and the situation getting worse. There are three steps to help yourself
- Gather together all the information you have – bills, letters, statements, contracts.
- Open everything up and sort into different piles for the different people you owe money to. If you can’t face this go straight to the next step.
- Look at the places where you can get help and choose one to contact – there are lots of choices – internet / phone / in person – make contact as soon as possible
Never pay for debt advice – there is no need. All of the links given on this page are to trusted, free and good quality services where you can get independent and confidential advice.
Help with debts on the internet
StepChange is a free,confidential debt advice service for anyone with problem debt.
My Money Steps is a free, online debt advice and money management service from National Debtline.
Debt Advice Foundation is a free and independent debt advice charity offering free online and phone support with any debt problems
Help with debts on the phone
StepChange: Freephone 0800 138 1111 Mon- Fri 8am-8pm, Sat: 8am – 4pm
National Debtline: 0808 808 4000 Mon-Fri 9am – 9pm, Sat:9.30am-1pm
Debt Advice Foundation: 0800 043 40 50 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat: 9am-5pm
If you are calling from a mobile and worried about phone charges please tell the adviser who answers the phone and they will call you back.
Help with debts in person
There are details of organisations in our service directory.
If you rent from a housing association let them know you need help – they may have in house advisers or access to free services that can help you quickly.
Or contact one of the following expert and free debt advice agencies:
Citizens Advice – click here to find your local bureau
Christians Against Poverty (CAP) Debt Centre
Call CAP on 0800 328 0006 or visit capuk.org
If you are unsure what is best for you just get in touch