Bills and Debt

Keeping on top of your money and dealing with money problems

Here is a 2 page Money Help in Cambridgeshire Checklist that you can use to help yourself or others.

Services near me

Help with debts

Debts are bills and borrowing that you cannot pay when they are due – research  shows people often wait more than a year before seeking help.

Don’t do this – save yourself money and stress and get free help today.


  • There is free help available for everybody.
  • There is no debt problem that cannot be solved.
  • Take a confidential 60 second debt test today here

If you are worried about debts and bills

If you feel anxious about money it may feel easier to ignore the problems.

But this is not helpful – costs can quickly escalate and the situation getting worse. There are three steps to help yourself

  • Gather together all the information you have – bills, letters, statements, contracts.
  • Open everything up and sort into different piles for the different people you owe money to. If you can’t face this go straight to the next step.
  • Look at the places where you can get help and choose one to contact – there are lots  of choices  – internet / phone / in person – make contact as soon as possible

Never pay for debt advice – there is no need. All of the links given on this page are to trusted, free and good quality services where you can get independent and confidential advice.


Help with debts on the internet

StepChange is a free,confidential debt advice service for anyone with problem debt

National Debtline is a free, online debt advice and money management service

Debt Advice Foundation is a free and independent debt advice charity offering free online and phone support with any debt problems


Help with debts on the phone

StepChange: Freephone 0800 138 1111  Mon- Fri 8am-8pm, Sat: 8am – 4pm

National Debtline:  0808 808 4000   Mon-Fri 9am – 9pm, Sat:9.30am-1pm

Debt Advice Foundation: 0800 043 40 50   Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat: 9am-5pm

If you are calling from a mobile and worried about phone charges please tell the adviser who answers the phone and they will call you back.


Help with debts in person

There are details of organisations in our service directory.

If you rent from a housing association let them know you need help – they may have in house advisers or access to free services that can help you quickly.

Or contact one of the following expert and free debt advice agencies:

Citizens Advice – click here to find your local bureau

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) Debt Centre 

Call CAP on 0800 328 0006 or visit

If you are unsure what is best for you just get in touch